We are hiring!
Title: Principal Software Engineer
Compensation: £37,500 - £50,000 pro rata and 1 - 4% equity package (depending on experience and share package)
Term: Full Time (initial part-term role negotiable)
Ideal start date: 16th March 2020
Location: Edinburgh, UK
Application deadline: 15th February 2020
Why Farm-Hand? Apply to join us if you wish to be part of an international, interdisciplinary and driven team solving issues in the energy-water-food nexus globally. We believe in hands-on-fieldwork and a human centred design for complex ecological solutions. ICT for development requires holisitc thinking and a willingness to tackle multifaceted challenges. We seek those wishing to embark on an adventure to revolutionise farming for the 425 million small-medium holder farmers and corresponding agricultural industry globally!
We are seeking a passionate software/AI engineer interested in creating ICT for development solutions for the small-medium holder farmer and agriculture industry. The applicant should be eager to work on new challenges and be able to manage complex software development tasks. The applicant should be familiar with advanced cloud-based software development and Internet of Things (IoT) solutions. The applicant would join our team headquartered in Edinburgh with operations in South Asia and East Africa. International travel will be expected. Farm-Hand has a regional operations office in Tamil Nadu, India. The applicant would report directly to the CTO, CEO and R&D leads. Farm-Hand is applying for space at the Higgs Incubator in Edinburgh and hope to have this office space, with state-of-the-art data visualistion, lab testing facilities and access to satellite experts, by March 2020. We aim to work alongside an individual that will be part of the core team going forward in this young but ambitious start-up with University and international organisation tie-ups.
As a Principal Software Engineer, you will have a key delivery and coordination role to strengthen our team and build on our technical specifications. Key role activities include:
- Work in a software team and with contracts to ensure delivery of product features into product releases at the required level of quality.
- Work with colleagues on data analytics/modelling to manage inputs on the irrigation scheduling algorithms.
- Further develop ML/AI applications in localized weather forecasting and farmer feedback mechanisms.
- Work with creating a user-centred front-end for the farmer and the aggregator.
- Liaise with R&D team to align development features to the right technical standards.
- Ensure a scalable product built for widespread commercialization.
- Pro-actively participating in the full development lifecycle.
- Leveraging expertise to ensure quality of product throughout all stages of the development lifecycle.
We are looking for a candidate with at least 5 years of programming/scripting experience in a variety of languages, systems and technologies. Required expertise:
- A degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or a related subject, or additional years of work experience.
- Experience in software stacks such as Java or Ruby.
- Knowledge of data structures and algorithms (i.e. selecting and implementing an algorithm, using data structures to solve a problem).
- Knowledge of data base design techniques.
- Knowledge of SQL and noSQL.
- Understanding of HTML, CSS3.
- Experience in docker and containerization stacks.
- Experience in implementing machine learning.
- Passionate and curious about learning new software skills, understanding climate smart agriculture, understanding how to use ICT for development and motivated for self-development.
- Good analytical skills.
- Eager to take on responsibility.
Desirable additional characteristics include:
- Prior experience with agriculture and/or energy systems modelling.
- Prior experience with working with satellite technology and Earth Observation data sets.
- Experience of implementing development tasks at some or all levels of stack such as: Linux, Cloud based development and deployment, Shell scripting, Spring Boot, Ruby on Rails, Node JS, Python, JPA, Hibernate, XML, JASON, API, Web services (Amazon Web Services or similar cloud services), Java Object-oriented development and relational database systems.
- Experience in React.JS, Angular or similar frontend technologies.
- Experience in Type Script.
- Experience in development using Gitlab.
- Long-term view in developing the company.
- Great communication skills with a desire to lead.
- Willingness to travel internationally for extended periods of time.
- Solve problems with curiosity and creativity.
- Experience in project management methodologies.
Farm-Hand is an equal opportunity employer.
Feel free to contact CEO, Abhimanyu Bhargava, at firstname.lastname@example.org for further information if unsure about applying.
To apply for this position please email your CV and a covering letter outlining why you would be a good fit for the position, to email@example.com and Dr. Andrew Peacock (CINO) firstname.lastname@example.org by 15th February 2020. Please put “Principal Software Engineer” in the email subject. While we thank all applicants for their interest, only short-listed candidates will be contacted . Interviews would take place in the following two weeks and a decision made as soon as possible.